Waterworks (3 Rector Street) is an adaptive reuse of an 11,000 square foot dilapidated mill building into loft-style Class A office space in the heart of the Manayunk neighborhood in Philadelphia.
The building was constructed in c. 1880 as an industrial warehouse. Waterworks represents one of a number of mills important to Manayunk’s industrial history during the 19th and 20th centuries. The building was constructed in the late-19th century as part of the Union Mills, which was owned by the Archibald Campbell Manufacturing Company. The complex primarily produced cotton yarns. By 1923, the complex had been purchased by the Atlas Powder Company, who were manufacturers of black powder and dynamite. A 1950 Sanborn map states that the building was used as a warehouse for plumbing supplies.
The plumbing supply house shut down in 1996 and the building sat vacant, rotting, until 2009 when it was purchased by Rector Street Associates, LP to be converted into office space.
The project utilized the 20% Federal Rehabilitative Historic Tax Credit Program, which ensured the renovation would maintain the historical integrity of the building.
COMPLETED: 2010, Office
SqFt: 11,000 SF