The Waterworks at Rector Street Transformed dilapidated 11,000 square-foot metal building into a loft-style office space in the heart of the Manayunk neighborhood of Philadelphia.
The building was originally constructed in 1880 as an industrial warehouse and represents one of a number of mills that were important to Manayunk‘s industrial history during the 19th and 20th centuries. The building was constructed in the late-19th century as a part of Union Mills, which was owned by the Archibald Campbell’s Manufacturing Company. The complex primarily produced cotton yards.
By 1923, the complex had been purchased by the Atlas Powder Company, who were manufacturers of black powder and dynamite. A 1950 Sanborn map states that the building was used as a warehouse for plumbing supplies. The plumbing supply house shut down in 1996 and the building sat vacant until 2009 when it was purchased by Rector Street Associates, LP to be converted into office space.
The project utilized the 20% Federal Rehabilitative Historic Tax Credit Program, which ensured the renovation would maintain the historical integrity of the building.